Sunday, March 1, 2009

The Secret Garden


Before I started this book I had my doubts about it, but they were quickly dispelled. Frances Burnett has a way of writing that makes it easy for children to understand, yet humorous for all readers, without taking away from the integrity of what is being written. I am impressed by how easily she can take a topic like the wonder of God and His power to heal our souls, and describe it so a child can look at their life and understand that everything around them is beautiful, and God made it that way for them to enjoy. Burnett revives in us the simple knowledge that God loves us and when we see that love and accept it we gain healing in our souls and truly gain life the way God intended.

I would recommend this book to anyone, but I think Barnes and Noble got it right when they placed this book in the children's section, not so much for children to read alone but for parents to read to their children.

5 comments:

  1. I believe that Burnett had a firm grasp of children. She understands what intreges them, she knows that every good children's fantisy needs a sort of magic and a secret(s).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm. I love fantasy and magic and I loved the movie, so maybe I will read the Secret Garden for myself. Although, it might take me a year (does anyone remember Benjamin Franklin?) I enjoy reading, but I get antsy and have to get moving or get outdoors. This is probably one reason Tyler and I got married. Tyler can sit still for very long either. Its a wonder we make it through church every Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lol, what do you mean you make it through church? JK. Yes I remember Benjamin Franklin, but The Secret Garden is actually quite short and I think it's a little more fun to read :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh and i forgot a fantisy esential, adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well put Matt! I'm sooo impressed by you!!

    ReplyDelete