Another youth section fun read, Fablehaven captures the imagination as our eyes are opened to a mystical world that could be staring us in the face, literally. As I put in the comments on The Secret Garden, this book has the three essentials of a children's fantasy; magic, a secret, and adventure.
I enjoy the equilibrium that is applied in this book, the discovery made by the children bring to light creatures one hundred times more beautiful than any in this world but they soon come to find out that there are also beings one hundred times uglier, they find that there is great evil but that there is even greater good, that contracts are literally binding or unbinding, and that small actions have great consequences for better and worse.
I enjoy the equilibrium that is applied in this book, the discovery made by the children bring to light creatures one hundred times more beautiful than any in this world but they soon come to find out that there are also beings one hundred times uglier, they find that there is great evil but that there is even greater good, that contracts are literally binding or unbinding, and that small actions have great consequences for better and worse.
I believe it says a lot for this author that although the first book has an ending in and of itself with no lead into the second book you still want to read the second book. What I'm trying to point out is that you read the second book because you enjoy the story not because you want to finish the story you started.

I was just trying to decide if I should buy this yesterday! Now, I'm sure I will. Thanks Matt!
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed this book, but I have to say his writing definitely improved as the series progressed. BTW did you know book four comes out today?!
ReplyDelete