Sunday, March 22, 2009

Aldous Huxley's Brave New World


Um... well, were to start. Surprisingly I'd have to agree with the critics when they say that Huxley was ahead of his time, in that he would appeal more to this period in time with his twisted, sexual, and futuristic plot. If you can't tell, I did not like this book. Actually I'm puzzled why this would be on any high school suggested reading list? Like many of his time he focused on the worst in society and government and took it to the extreme creating a society that the government controls through sex and drugs... and this makes him special how?

What is his purpose for writing it? To warn people of what is going to happen. If he wanted to do that he should have written an essay or had another author help him, because his writing stinks, period. First major problem, the doom and gloom ending, one of my writing rule of thumbs is that even if you want to make a point nobody is going to want to read your book or recommend it if it doesn't have even a little hope at the end like The Giver. Problem two, a main character fake out. Never focus on one character till the middle of the book and then do a switch-a-roo to the real MC it makes the first half seem like a waist of time, I'm guessing that his reason for that was to introduce the reader to this "brave new world" but he could easily have done that through the MC's point of view ( what I'm trying to get at is that he has no valid reason for his poor writing except that he is a poor author).

This book has only done one thing for me and that is to confuse me. I can't figure out how this book is considered literarily meritorious and even sometimes a classic? Can you say lame.

6 comments:

  1. LOL I can say lame. But I've never read this book so I can't say it in this instance. I've actually just finished reading all of your reviews and I've surprisingly never read any of the books that you reviewed. So, I was happy to have your stellar reviews so that I could pick my next book to read. Right now I'm reading Inkheart, so maybe next I will read one on your list. Thanks, Matt. You keep reading that way you can weed out all the bad ones for me and I don't have to waste my time. :) And if you ever want to read an unpublished author who's always looking for smart reviewers, just let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! Matt, don't confuse us with your logic! If the critics say it's a classic it must be so. How dare you question the supreme authority of academia? Don't you know that they are the end all be all when it come to literary merit? Your review is highly disappointing. Maybe next time you will consider your rightful place as a humble follower, and learn that insightful critique will only result in heartache and scorn from our noble academic leaders.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I understand now, you have opened my eyes to a new and better world. Thank you so much Candi I will always be in your debt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kasie I would love to read your book. I've heard a lot of wonderful comments about it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Matthew....I love how you cretique books! I know if I want to read it or not, the general idea, and you don't give away the whole story. You are amazing. I would trust your opinion any day! Keep reviewing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Matt,
    You are a quiet genius, and I believe you can excel at anything, but don't discount a possible future as an editor... even on the side:)

    ReplyDelete