Monday, March 2, 2009

The Rangers Apprentice 1-5


I was asked by Mrs. Anonymous Kennington to do some reviews of more recent youth books that I have recently read, so here it goes :)

I'll start off by saying that i classify this as a "fun read", that is to say it is easy to understand, short (the first book is only 242 pg.), and well written. John Flanagan does a good job of introducing the reader into the story by giving them just enough information to give them an understanding of the new world,without boring them to the point they put the book down. His unique story of the life of the solitary rangers and a boy's introduction into this select group peaks the readers interest so that they can't put the book down, and it is written well enough that the reader doesn't wish they could(I have read plenty of books that had to be finish because the story was original but wished that i could put it down because the writing was terrible).

Now on to why youth especially boys want to like this book. It's about a young man that's smaller than average who does extraordinary things, they like to imagine themselves being that hero and having those adventures. The book wouldn't be nearly as exciting if it was about a wealthy kid who is the perfect child who does everything just right and defeats the enemy.

The last comment I have is concerning how he ends a book within a series. Once again he finds a the balance point where you feel completion yet you want to know what comes next. I wont say i enjoyed one of the books endings more than the others but i am going to say that i enjoyed book five's ending the least ( that may be because it's the last book written and i can't finish the story till the next book comes out).

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the review Mateo. I'm glad to know you liked it. I'll have to pick it up next time I'm at the library.

    ReplyDelete