Couldn't someone have warned me about the dangers of becoming an English critic, I called you my friends and you let me down, I'm ashamed to know you. Because of you I'll never stray to far from the side walk... wow don't know were that came from, what I meant to say was I'll never be able to enjoy any book as much as I did or be able to finish a book without saying "where was their editor!" I've been down roads similar to this and there is no turning back, but YOU could have stopped me from starting!
My realization of this burden came as I was reading FableHaven Secrets of the Dragon Sanctuary. I loved Fablehaven and still do just slightly less. As I was happily starting my book small pests became aparent to me within the text (without my consent) and would not go away. That's when I realized that the on and off switch to my writers critic self had broken in the on position... and now I'm confused. I'm glad that I notice small mistakes, but sometimes I just want to enjoy a fun book without distractions. Does anyone feel my pain?
P.S.
I should probably include that Fablehaven was enjoyable and the twists at the end are great.
P.S.S.
Oh and I have to put in that I love you Tyler for your willingness to go to Brandon Mull's book signing and get a signed copy for me. Thank you soooooooo much :)
Publishing Schedule
7 years ago

Matt, Welcome to my world! Muahahaha!! It stinks to always feel like a critic while reading. Being a writer has taken away some of my reading enjoyment, unfortunately. Fablehaven is not the most well-written book around, but I have to agree, I loved the twist!!
ReplyDeleteMatt,
ReplyDeleteNow you know why I can't stand to watch medical shows (i.e. ER, Grey's Anatomy, Scrubs, etc.) Besides the fact that some of them aren't worth watching anyway, I would spend the whole show expressing how unrealistic it is.
You have pointed out a very valuable lesson... There is a point of no return, so choose your coarse wisely. I believe that is why so many people wish they could be a child again, and enjoy the freedom of ignorance to the "real world"... It reminds me of the heart break I felt when I learned about Santa Clause!
Matt, you're right, you can't turn back now because I need you! I need your critiquing abilities in my life. :) But yes, we should've warned you about the side effects. The really bad side effects. I used to be able to brainlessly read books. No more. WHYEEEEE!
ReplyDeleteablehaven is not the most well-written book around, but I have to agree, I loved the twist!
ReplyDeleteWork from home India